The latest release of Variety wallpaper changer brings some great features and improvements, which makes it not an ordinary wallpaper changer but a new great way to keep your desktop with such a beautiful wallpaper along with some dynamic stuff such as the new Quotes and Digital clock&data, as we going to see a video demo and how to install it on Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal and Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Precise Pangolin.
Variety Wallpaper Changer 0.4.12 Main Features
- Automatic or manual download wallpapers from many online sources such as ” wallpapers.net, flickr, wallbase and RSS feed”. Also, you add wallpapers from local your local directories.
- Change the wallpaper interval time between changing wallpapers.
- Apply some filters to your currently active wallpaper using ImageMagick filters such as ” Grayscale, Oil painting, Pencil sketch, Pixellate, Pointilism, Charcoal painting and Heavy blur.
- NEW Feature: Fetching Quotes form “QuotesDaddy” and displaying it as an transparent overlay in your desktop.
- To activate it: Under “Effect” tab, check “Show random wise quotes on the desktop”.
- Under “Effect” Tab there are many options for Quotes to customize it the way your want such as “Text color, text font, backdrop color, backdrop opacity, quotes placements in your desktop, quotes width, ability to choose a specific tags or authors names for quotes fetched originally from “QuotesDaddy”, and the time interval between changing the quotes.
- Display a Digital Clock and Date in your desktop. Also, you can change the font size, and font type for Time and Date. Also, Here’s a [How To] guide for further configuration for the Clock.
Variety 0.4.12 Video Demo
Install Variety 0.4.12 on Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal and Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Precise Pangolin
Run Terminal “Ctrl+Alt+t”, then type,
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:peterlevi/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install variety
[note]This repository work with any linux distribution based on Ubuntu 12.10 or Ubuntu 12.04 LTS[/note]
For Debian 6 Wheezy users, you can download this DEB file for installation.
Also, here’s installation guide to install Variety from the source for other Linux distributions and installation instructions for Elementary OS.
You might want to check the “Tips and Tricks” tab in the Variety Preferences window, which includes some helpful information for KDE users, because they might have some issues with for changing wallpapers. Also, it includes several tips for configuring Variety.
Variety official website.