Officially the first development release “Alpha 1” of Ubuntu 12.04 LTS has been released with code name Precise Pangolin. Alpha 1 release featuring many changes most of them mentioned on the last “UDS” Ubuntu Developer Summit. So, let’s check what’s new in Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin and download links.
Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin is Long Term Support “LTS” release so it will be supported for more 5 Years for Desktop and Server releases.
What’s New In Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Alpha 1 Precise Pangolin
- Ubuntu 12.04 Alpha 1 includes Kernel v3.2.0-2.5 which is based on Kernel v3.2-rc3.
- Rhythmbox audio player is back and now replace Banshee as the default audio player.
- No UbuntuOne music store, because it’s not ported to GTK3 yet.
- Lubuntu comes with LightDM instead of GDM display manager.
- Many packages has been updated for Ubuntu 12.04 Alpha 1 server.
Upgrade To Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Alpha 1
To upgrade from Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot Click Alt+F2 and run the update manger by typing
Then it should tell that there’s a new release available.
Upgrading from Ubuntu 10.04 LTS Lucid Lynx is not possible till now. Check the reported bug Here.
Direct links and Torrent included in the link for Desktop and Server releases.
This is an early development release. It includes many bugs, hopefully it will be fixed in the upcoming releases of Ubuntu 12.04. it’s not recommended to use it in a production machines[/note]
Ubuntu 12.04 Alpha 1 Precise Pangolin Release Notes.
Ubuntu Long Term Support LTS.