Continuous development series of Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot release including new features and latest open-source softwares. Today the first beta of Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot has been released along with other family members. Kubuntu, Lubuntu, Xubuntu, Edubuntu, Mythubuntu, and Ubuntu Studio as well reached Beta 1 status.Ubuntu 11.10 Beta 1 Oneiric Ocelot introduces new set images called Ubuntu Core includes a minimal software and are can be used for creating new customized Ubuntu distributions and products.
What’s New in Ubuntu 11.10 Beta 1 Oneiric Ocelot
- Kernel updated to 3.0.0-9.15 based on 3.0.3 up stream stable kernel.
- GNOME 3.1.5 development version, Ubuntu 11.10 final release will come with GNOME 3.2.
- Gwibber social network client comes with many new enhancements to the user interface and improved performance.
- LightDM is the new unity greeter by default instead of GDM.
- Ubuntu Software center has been updated, now includes “top rated” for all software departments, and capability to add or delete you own reviews.
- Ubuntu Core the new minimal rootfs for creating custom images for more information click Here.
- Improved handling of 32-bit compatibility on amd64 system using multiarch for installing 32-bit library and application packages on amd64 bit systems.
- Mozilla Thunderbird is an advanced mail client by default on Oneiric Ocelot.
- Déjà Dup is the default backup tool for easily backup your files and allows you to upload it to Ubuntu one.
- New application switcher “Ctrl+Tab” or “Alt+Tab”, also you still can customize it using CCSM.
- GTK 3 Integrations for Unity launcher and panels.
How To Upgrade From Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal To Ubuntu 11.10 Beta 1 Oneiric Ocelot
[note]Ubuntu 11.10 Beta 1 is a development release, not recommended to use in a production machine.[/note]
Press Alt+F2 then type
It will tell there’s a new distribution 11.10 available, click upgrade then follow on screen instructions.
For Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal server
Install update manager core if it’s not already installed.
sudo apt-get install update-manager-core
sudo do-release-upgrade -d
Then, follow upgrade instructions.
[note]Report any bugs you find Here[/note]
Download Ubuntu 11.10 Beta 1 Oneiric Ocelot
Ubuntu 11.10 Beta 1 Oneiric Ocelot Release Notes – Release Announcement.