Back to January 2012, we have seen the first Beta release of XBMC 11.0 Eden the free and open-source multimedia entertaining center. The Beta releases of XBMC 11.0 came with several new features, better hardware support since XBMC 10.0 Dharma, and improvements to the new default skin “Confluence”. After over a year since Dharma release, here comes the final stable release of XBMC 11.0 Eden. Check what’s new and Download options down below.
The new Skin design “Confluence” looks fabulous and ease the navigation through XBMC menus by using the keyboard, mouse or Xbox wireless game controller. The skin is fully customizable from settings beneath system main menu, select Skin. So, you will be able to customize the skin in many ways such as:
- Ability to hide or show the main menus “Music, Videos, Programs, ..etc”.
- Change the background for each main menu. You can select a single background and multi background or you can leave it to the default background.
- Adjust the Add-On for XBMC main menus, now you will be able to show a custom sub menus including currently installed add-ons for Music, Videos and Programs, also you can adjust the Music and Videos OSD from the same location.
XBMC 11.0 Eden as it’s working on Linux platform, it brings several improvements such as better support to ARM processor architecture, improved OpenGL ES and EGL support for embedded devices and embedded system platforms, Improved OpenMAX Video Decoding Acceleration support, it provides JSON-RPC server over Bluetooth, Added proper timezone support for systems based on Slackware Linux, and many other new features.
XBMCbuntu is known as “XBMC live” for the earlier version of XBMC Dharma, XBMCbuntu built upon a Lubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot with LXDE desktop environment, it comes with Chromium web browser pre-loaded with flash player, and you will be able to use it as a regular Ubuntu release for installing new software, upgrading packages including updating XBMC to the latest stable release.
Highlights of XBMC 11.0 Eden Changelog
- Improve XBMC’s GUI Engine / Skinning Framework making it even more flexible and powerful
- Added support for direct playback of ISO image files for Blu-ray Disc as well as video library integration
- Added support for MP4 embedded subtitles
- Added support for SSA/ASS subtitle tags; italics, bold, and color for SubRip (.srt) subtitles
- Gave external subtitles preference over internal subtitles
- Upgrade FFmpeg (libavformat and libavcodec) audio/video codec and demux library
- Added an option for vertical shift of video image with slider setting
- Added ability for all addons to provide their own web interface (and handling of multiple web interfaces)
- Added the ability to search Addons in the Addons-Manager
- Confluence: Home screen switched to horizontal layout
- Confluence: Greatly simplified the way FanArt works throughout the skin and the settings for it
- Confluence: Added ability for users to easily add / remove Add-ons as items on the home screen menu
- Confluence: Added codec flagging images for DTS-HD Master Audio and DTS-HD High Resolution Audio
- Added a custom JPEG decoder, at least 2x faster than the previous implementation (cximage)
- Improved mouse support, add better control for dragging of seek / slide / scroll bars, and click handling
- Improve touch interface API and gesture support for XBMC’s GUI Engine for all platforms
- Added Dirty Region support to reduce CPU usage
Check the full list of changes in the changelog of XBMC 11.0 Eden for more information.
Download XBMCbuntu iso image file ” 623 MB “.
Download the XBMC 11.0 Eden release sources.
The official download page includes many download options for different platforms “Linux, MAC OS X and Microsoft Windows”.
[How To]: Install XBMC 11.0 Eden on Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot Using PPA
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install xbmc
For Other Linux distributions such “Arch, Gentoo, Foresight, Mageia, Mandriva, Debian, Fedora and OpenSUSE” check the installation guide Here.
XBMC 11.0 Eden release announcements.