Skype is one of the most popular voice over IP software which allows you
to make voice/video calls, also it support instant messaging between contacts,
recently Microsoft has released a new version of Skype which brings more
stability and improvements to conference calls. Check what’s new in Skype 4.2 down below and Download link.
What’s new in Skype 4.2 | Changelog
- Feature: When opening account’s links open your logged-in account.
- Feature: Add subscription status and link to the account brief view in the main window.
- Feature: Add a button to enable voice message from the options dialog.
- Feature: When sharing the screen in a multiple monitor setup, share the one where the call window is at the moment.
- Feature: Add Messenger predefined group when logged-in with your MSA account.
Improvement: Create an entry point to hold a conference call from the conversations view.
- Improvement: New sizes for the Skype icon.
- Bugfix: Artifacts in the contact list after changing topic or picture in a multichat.
- Bugfix: Searching in the chat window when ‘Ignore poster names’ is set might lead toclient crash.
- Bugfix: Skype crashes on attempting to stop sharing selection being in a call on hold.
- Bugfix: Disabling Birthday notification doesn’t work.
- Bugfix: Clicking on certain contact request notifications lead always to the wrong contact request against ‘live’ contact.
- Bugfix: Hide screen sharing window when call paused.
- Bugfix: Link bounding rectangle mismatch in chat when font is smaller than an emoticon present on the same line.
- Bugfix: Double click on a PSTN contact should follow preferred action and not always call.
- Bugfix: Do not pollute the Clipboard with quoted text when quoting a chat message.
- Bugfix: Do not show call on hold for conversations that cannot be put on hold (I.e: echo123).
- Bugfix: Call hold overlay icon goes away giving the idea the call is resumed when is not.
- Bugfix: Show mute indicator at the bottom even when muting from the keyboard shortcut.
- Bugfix: Do not show the login window if autologin plus start Skype minimized are enabled.
- Bugfix: Mark the birthday “read” when seen in the chat.
- Bugfix: Do not allow more than 256-length conversation’s topic.
- Bugfix: Localize all the prices in the Skype WiFi dialogs.
The official Download page includes binary packages for many Linux distribution such as ” Ubuntu 10.04 LTS Lucid Lynx, Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Precise Pangolin, Debian 7.0, Fedora 16 32bit, OpenSUSE 12.1 32bit and dynamic package which works for many Linux distribution, check the “ReadMe” file inside the dynamic package.
Skype 4.2 has been installed successfully on Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail, and Linux Mint 15 as well using Ubuntu 12.04 LTS binary package.
Source “Skype for Linux 4.2”.