A quick guide for removing Amazon integration in Unity launcher and Unity Dash lens for Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail and Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal.
Since Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal development, Canonical decided to add Amazon integration into Unity launcher and Unity Dash shopping lens. So, whenever you try to search for anything it will provide more search results from Amazon.
What you might don’t Know about web app integration?!
Many users consider this kind of integration as Adware, which annoys many users when they try to search for anything using unity dash.
What Canonical do with your information?!
- To authenticate access to certain features of our websites.
- To contact you to respond to enquiries or to provide notices to you regarding your use of our websites or the provision of our services.
- To provide services, products, process payment, and authenticate access (where required).
- To analyse the performance or the appropriateness of products or services.
- To comply with legal and regulatory requirements (including responding to court orders, subpoenas and to prevent crime). These special circumstances may require us to disclose personal information.
- To contact you if your actions violate your agreement with us (if any).
- To fix errors and analyse trends.
- To study how anonymous users interact with our websites and services.
- To market our products or services to you.
So, after you know that canonical and other third parties collecting information about you based on your IP address and search queries. Are you ok with that?!
[How To]: Get Rid of Amazon Integration in Unity Launcher and Unity Dash lens
Run Terminal, then type,
This method works on Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail and Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal
Please feel free to leave your feedback.