Ubuntu Quantal Quetzal reaches its beta phase, the first beta release of Ubuntu 12.10 brings many new features to Unity user interface and many applications packages has been updated. Check what’s new and Download links for Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal Beta 1 down below.
Quantal Quetzal Beta 1 won’t fit on CD so if you want to test it you could use it on Virtual machine or through USB flash drive. Please keep in mind the precaution up here.
The Ubuntu team is pleased to announce the first beta release of Ubuntu 12.10 Desktop, Server, Cloud, and Core products.
Codenamed “Quantal Quetzal”, 12.10 continues Ubuntu’s proud tradition of integrating the latest and greatest open source technologies into a high-quality, easy-to-use Linux distribution. The team has been hard at work through this cycle, introducing new features and fixing bugs.
What’s new in Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal Beta 1
- It includes 3.5.0-13.14 Ubuntu linux kernel which was based on the v3.5.3 upstream Linux kernel.
- Python 2 no longer available by default, final release of Ubuntu 12.10 will ship with Python 3. However you will be able to install it from the local repository of Ubuntu. So, no worries about running applications depending on Python 2.
- Ubuntu: Unity user interface has been updated to 6.4 which brings support for dash previews and coverflow view.
- Ubuntu: The consolidated client images now support the logical volume manager (LVM) as well as full disk encryption.
- Ubuntu: Compiz with GLES support landed, making unity-3d work again on the pandaboard.
- Ubuntu: Libreoffice was updated to 3.6.1 with built-in menubar & HUD support without needing a separate plugin.
- Ubuntu: GNOME has been updated to 3.5.90 for most of Gnome applications.
- Kubuntu: KDE Plasma and Applications 4.9 add many new features and fixes.
- Kubuntu: Calligra is the default office and graphics suite adding top class painting and database applications.
- Kubuntu: New login manager LightDM adds a guest session feature for letting your friends use your computer quickly.
- Kubuntu: Digikam 2.8 adds better photo handling http://www.digikam.org/drupal/node/661.
- Xubuntu: Updated artwork, including new wallpaper, documentation looks and updates to LightDM, Greybird and Ubiquity slideshow.
- Lubuntu: comes with a new artwork for the icon theme, wallpapers, and improvements to the current theme.
- Lubuntu: A new version of pcmanfm (file manager), including at lot of bug fixes, external thumbnailer support, multiple screen support.
- Check the full release notes for Ubuntu and its other flavors here.
Upgrade to Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal Beta 1
To upgrade from Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Precise Pangolin to the latest development release of Quantal Quetzal. Click Alt + F2 to run this command without quotes ”update-manager -d”. Now, the update manager should notify you that there’s a new version is available to upgrade. Click upgrade and follow the on-screen instructions.
Download Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal Beta 1
Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal Beta 1 i386 Desktop.
Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal Beta 1 AMD64 Desktop.
Download options for Ubuntu flavors check the release notes.
According to the release schedule of Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal, the next development release and last will be released on September 27th, 2012. and the final release will released on October 18th, 2012.