The second development release “Alpha 2″ of Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal has been released. It brings many bug fixes and several updated packages since the “Alpha 1″ release.
Usual precaution with every development release.
This is an early development stage of Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal. So, it’s not recommended to use it in a production machine.
If you would like to use it. the best way to use it in avirtual machine using “VirtualBox” application or using the the live session from a USB stick.
Alpha 2 is the second in a series of milestone images that will be released throughout the Quantal development cycle, in addition to our daily development images. The Alpha images are known to be reasonably free of showstopper CD build or installer bugs, while representing a very recent snapshot of Quantal.
Upgrade from Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Precise Pangolin
Also this method works for earlier releases of Ubuntu to upgrade to Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal.
Click Alt+F2 then type “update-manager -d” without quotes. Then, it should notify you that there’s a new Ubuntu releases “12.10″ is available. Simply click upgrade and follow on screen instructions. Make sure you have important files and packages backed up using Déjà Dup and AptonCD.
What’s New In Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal Alpha 2
- It comes with Kernel version 3.5.0-2.2.
- Desktop version will include the Python 3 only. Also Python 2 will still be supported by Ubuntu for Quantal Quetzal.
- Mozilla Firefox the default web browser has been updated to version 14.0 Beta 9.
- Mozilla Thunderbird 14.0 Beta 3.
- Desktop environment and applications has been updated to Gnome 3.5.
- Gwibber micro-blogging client 3.5.2.
- Unity User Interface version 5.12.0 which is available to Ubuntu Precise as well.
- Kubuntu: KDE SC 4.9 Beta 2 landed on Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal.
- Kubuntu: LightDM replace KDM as a login manager.
- Kubuntu: Calligra Suite replaces LibreOffice office suite.
- Kubuntu: Kde-config-tablet added for testing Wacom/pen tablet configuration.
- Xubuntu: Xfce 4.10 landed on Xubuntu Quantal Quetzal.
- Xubuntu: Updated applications, including GIMP 2.8 and gThumb 3.0.1.
- Check the full list of changes and improvements in the release notes of Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal Alpha 2.
Download Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal Alpha 2
- Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal Alpha 2 i386 Desktop.
- Torrent – i386 Desktop.
- Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal Alpha 2 amd64 Desktop.
- Torrent – amd64 Desktop.
For more Download options for Ubuntu derivatives Check the Download options from the release notes Here.
According to the release schedule Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal Alpha 3 will be released in August 2nd, 2012.