Unity Greeter is the login screen for LightDM desktop display manager. The latest Unity Greeter version 0.2.1 for the development release Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Precise Pangolin brings several improvements to the user interface and some new features.
Since the Precise Pangolin release, there are many changes has been made to the login screen for Ubuntu 12.04 LTS such as the login screen shows the currently active background for each user as the background for the Unity Greeter, Unity Greeter multiple monitor support, improved the keyboard layout, sound and power indicators, and several new enhancements.
Sorry guys for the bad image quality.
After you update to the latest release of Unity Greeter you will notice some new changes to the login screen, now you have a transparent drop down menu for changing the desired session to use, display “Password” in the password dialog instead of asterisk. Also comes with many improvements for indicators and bug fixes.
Unity Greeter 0.2.1 Changelog
- Fix session menu button not showing for first user.
- Skip indicators that fail to load.
- Distribute translations correctly.
- Load indicators from location specified in pkg-config.
- Use gsettings instead of /etc/lightdm/unity-greeter.conf.
- Accept numpad arrow key presses.
- Instead of showing all layouts in the system in the keyboard indicator, only show the layouts a user has configured.
- Don’t crash if gnome-settings-daemon’s gsettings schema isn’t as expected.
- Disable gnome-settings-daemon’s new gsdwacom plugin as well as its older wacom plugin.
- Use vala-0.16 instead of valac-0.14.
- Check the full changelog here.
Update Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Precise Pangolin
Run the update manager using the graphical user interface, Alt+F2 then type “update-manager” or you can run the update using terminal “Ctrl+Alt+T”
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade