Latest stable release of Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot has just been released. We already seen many of the new features in earlier development releases. So let’s check what’s new in Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot and Download options.
What’s New In Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot | Highlights
- Ubuntu Oneiric Ocelot includes Kernel 3.0.0-12.20 which based on Kernel 3.0.4. v.3.0.0-12.20 brings more performance improvements to ext4 default filesystem.
- 32-bit package compatibility with AMD64 systems.
- Compiz “CCSM” and Unity Includes many new features. ALT+Tab Applications switcher you can change short keys using Unity Plugin in Compiz CCSM. Launcher and Panels ported to GTK3.
- Lenses is the new name of Places. The dash now includes rating and filtering options to easily search for specific file or applications. Ability to select Music according to genre.
- Ubuntu Software Center 5.0 is now ready to use on Oneiric Ocelot along with OneConf tool allows you to easily synchronize installed packages between multiple machines. To activate OneConf Sync go to file then select sync between computers.
- Déjà Dup comes pre-installed as the default backup tool. Déjà Dup now support backup to Ubuntu One account.
- LightDM is the new login manager with Unity greeter instead of GDM. Take a quick look at LightDM in action.
- Mozilla Thunderbird is the default Mail client.
- Chromium web browser replace Mozilla Firefox on Mythbuntu and Lubuntu. And Mozilla Firefox stays as the default web browser on Ubuntu. You always able to install more web browsers.
- Unity 2D improvements.
- Ubuntu Core tool allows you to add custom images of Ubuntu.
[How To] Upgrade Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal to Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot Instructions.
Download Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot
- Ubuntu 11.10 Desktop i386 – Torrent
- Ubuntu 11.10 Desktop AMD64 – Torrent
- Ubuntu 11.10 Server i386 – Torrent
- Ubuntu 11.10 Server AMD64 – Torrent
Ubuntu 11.10 Release Notes.