We almost there. The second beta release of Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot has been released. Ubuntu Developer has just announced Ubuntu 11.10 Beta 2 along with Ubuntu 11.10 Beta 2 different flavors, Lubuntu, Kubuntu, Edubuntu, Mythbuntu, Ubuntu Studio, and Xubuntu.
What’s New In Ubuntu 11.10 Beta 2
Here are some of the changes and improvements since Ubuntu 11.10 Beta 1 released:
- Improved handling installation 32-bit library on 64-bit systems.
- Gnome got updated to development version 3.1.92. “Ubuntu 11.10 Final release will come with Gnome 3.2″.
- OneConf has been integrated to Ubuntu Software Center to easily keep syncing your installed application between different computers.
- Kernel has been updated to version 3.0.0-11.18 which based on Kernel 3.0.4.
- Ubuntu 11.10 Beta 2 has a polished look with few changes since Beta 1 released. Window decorator has been reverted to gtk-window-decorator instead of unity-window-decorator for performance reasons. “This means that the “1 px border” for resizing window is back temporarily”. Dash and launcher appear underneath windows.
- Synaptic package manager and Pitivi video editor are no longer pre-installed on Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot, however you still can install them from Ubuntu repository.
- Check Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot blueprint list for all changes.
How To Upgrade From Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal To Ubuntu 11.10 Beta 2 Oneiric Ocelot
Ubuntu 11.10 Beta 2 is a development release, not recommended to use in a production machine.
Press Alt+F2 then type
It will tell there’s a new distribution 11.10 available, click upgrade then follow on screen instructions.
For Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal server
Install update manager core if it’s not already installed.
sudo apt-get install update-manager-core
sudo do-release-upgrade -d
Then, follow upgrade instructions.
Report any bugs you find Here
Download Ubuntu 11.10 Beta 2 Oneiric Ocelot