Kdenlive is a free and open-source KDE non-linear video editor software. It works on GNU/Linux, Mac OS X and FreeBSD. It supports variety of multimedia file formats which are supported by FFmpeg multimedia framework also it includes many of HD standards which will allow you to produce high definition videos with high aspect ratio.
Kdenlive provides many video and audio effects by default. Also you can use it for recording from a video cameras supports firewire cable or to record you current desktop then import the recorded video to Kdenlive to edit. Check the full list of features here.
Kdenlive 0.9 brings some new features and many bug fixes since the last stable release version 0.8.2.1. let’s check the highlights of these features and its improvements.
- Effect stack allows to manipulate effects and adjust them in several ways such as grouping them, drag and drop them and adjust them in the same widget.
- Online resources is a pretty handy feature we already have seen earlier on the development release which allows to search for video and audio resources to add along with the video you are editing. Currently it support these websites archive.org, freesound and open clip art.
- Ability to sort videos according to timestamp.
- Allow rendering to another framerate.
- Zoom to mouse when using CTRL + mouse wheel in monitor editing scene.
- Add background color parameter to “Rotate” and “Pan and Zoom” effects.
- Improve timeline operation for small clips (disable resizing, only allow move).
- Introduce grouping of effects; groups can also be saved.
- Add GUI for effect Dynamic Text: Allows to display timecode/framecount and other data.
- Rework effect stack: All effects are shown at once and are collapsible.
- Add two different video stabilizers.
- Check the full list of the new features and bug fixes here on the changelog of Kdenlive 0.9.
Video Preview for Kdenlive stabilize clip feature
Install Kdenlive 0.9 on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Precise Pangolin Using PPA
Run Terminal “Ctrl+Alt+t”, then type
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install kdenlive
This is the official stable repository for Kdenlive project. The last stable release Kdenlive 0.9 is available for Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Precise Pangolin, Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot, Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal and Ubuntu 10.04 LTS Lucid Lynx. So, you can install Kdenlive 0.9 on these release using the same installation instructions.
Install Kdenlive for other Linux distributions check the Download Page for more information.