Yorba software group announced the new lightweight email client for Gnome desktop called “Geary”. It comes with a simple and organized user interface to ease the way you browse/read your emails. Also it’s written in Vala programing language.
Geary Email Client Features
- Supports Gmail, and yahoo web mail services.
- IMAP server support.
- Viewing and composing HTML emails.
- Replay to all and forward emails.
- Optional spell checker “To deactivate it from the preference window”.
- Keyboard shortcuts.
- Organizes emails into conversations.
- Mark email as unread.
- Star emails.
- Archive emails.
- Hyperlinks opens in the default web browser.
This is the first official release of Geary email reader after one year of development, which still in early development phases and it will come with more features in the upcoming releases such as:
- Multiple accounts support.
- Desktop notification.
- Offline mode.
- Flag/star messages.
- Move/copy messages to folder/label.
- Check the development roadmap for more information.
Install Geary 0.1 on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Precise Pangolin using PPA
Run Terminal “Ctrl+Alt+t”, then type
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:yorba/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install geary
Other Linux distribution
Download the tarball and check the building instruction here.
Geary 0.1 does not support multiple email account. So, when you want change the email account for Geary simply delete the configuration files stored in this path.
Source “Geary announcement”.