!Geary is a lightweight email client written in Vala programming language. Since the earlier release of Geary version 0.1 Yorba team introduced many new features to its new release Geary 0.2 Check what’s new and installation instructions on Ubuntu down below.
Some of the planned features has already landed to the new release Geary 0.2 like supporting sending and receiving attachments, Email notification for Gnome shell and Unity user interface. On the other hand this release still don’t support mutliple email accounts which I was personally waiting for, hopefully it will be available on the upcoming release. However, based on my experience with Geary it’s one of the lightest email clients I have ever used.
New features and improvements in Geary 0.2
- Support for sending and receiving attachments.
- Address autocompletion when composing a message.
- New mail notification for GNOME Shell and Unity.
- Outbox for scheduled delivery of messages.
- Better visual presentation of conversations.
- Full SSL and STARTTLS support.
- Fine-grained control of account information for connecting to Dovecot and generic IMAP servers.
- Database optimizations.
- Composer window redesign and bug fixes.
- Numerous bug and stability fixes.
[How To]: Install Geary 0.2 on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Precise Pangolin Using PPA
Run Terminal Ctrl+Alt+t, then type
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install geary
Geary 0.2 is available to install on Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal using the daily build repository PPA.
Changing/Using multiple accounts in Geary
Unfortunately this release does not support multiple email client or the ability to change the email account you are using through the graphical user interface of Geary. So, if you need to use another email client you can remove the configuration files for this account from this path. Also you can backup these files in case you need it later.
To install geary email client in other linux distribution, please follow building instruction in the Yorba’s wiki page.